Possession Day Checklist
Did you know, unless the house was bought on an “as is” basis, the present owner is responsible for keeping the house in good and working condition until the day the deal closes. This undertaking normally expires at 11.59 p.m. on the day of closing. After 11.59 p.m. the responsibility for the ongoing repairs and maintenance of the property falls to you, the new owner. When you get your keys, you should go through the house one last time to make sure that nothing has changed since your home inspection was carried out.
POSSESSION DAY CHECKLIST:
- Hopefully everything will be as expected but if you find that something has emerged since your inspection you should let your realtor know immediately. They will guide you through any further process should it be necessary.
- Open and close all windows and doors
- Operate all electrical outlets and switches.
- Look behind any window coverings for hidden signs of damage.
- Operate any electric baseboard heaters present.
- Run both hot and cold water at all plumbing fixtures. Check for leaks.
- Check walls and ceilings for signs of new damage/staining/repairs
- Walk the entire property around the outside looking for changes.
- Operate the kitchen, laundry appliances and central vacuum if present.
- Operate the furnace and air conditioning (Where outside temperatures permit).
- Check basement walls/floor for new staining or wetness.
- Operate the gas fireplace(s) if present.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors where present.